I got PHP running with lighttpd on my Western Digital My Book World Edition (MBWE) today.
The procedure is relatively simple:
- Install the lighttpd, php, and php-fcgi packages
- Upon installation, lighttpd should be running. You may want to change the server.port or server.document-root settings in lighttpd.conf
- In your document-root directory, make a file called test.php with the contents:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
- Make sure lighttpd is running
- Point your browser to test.php - the results should make it obvious that PHP is active.
- If lighttpd doesn't crash (terminate) after viewing test.php, you're done.
- If it crashes, edit lighttpd.conf and make it have the following line:
server.event-handler = "poll"
It's blisteringly fast - about 100 times faster (subjective perception) than apache2 on the MBWE.
I found the solution to the crashing problem HERE.